Plenty of new TV titles coming to disc this week including “Homeland: The Complete Second Season” and “The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Sixth Season.” Here’s a rundown of the new titles for September 10, 2013.
“Supernatural: The Complete Eighth Season: All 23 episodes from Season 8 and nearly 4 hours of bonus content including featurettes, commentaries, deleted scenes and more. Available on Blu-ray or DVD. Both include an Ultraviolet digital copy. The shows run 989 minutes and the bonus features 222 minutes. Suggested retail price is high at $69.97 and $59.98 respectively. But, retailers are expected to discount heavily.
- “Homeland: The Complete Second Season” should be in big demand this week. The popular action series starring Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin enjoys above-average ratings on Fox. The show’s quality likely will carry into Blu-ray and DVD sales. Special features include the bridge sequence linking Seasons 2 & 3, deleted scenes and three featurettes. Total runtime is 630 minutes.
- “The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Sixth Season” always manages a few laughs. It comes in a Blu-ray/DVD/Ultraviolet combo arrangement or just the DVD format. Included are 24 half-hour episodes and some fun features including “the best relationship” moments in Season 6.
- “Chicago Fire: Season One” got some decent reviews as it explored the dangerous and not-so-dangerous moments experienced by firefighters and paramedics at Chicago Firehouse 51. Bonus features are a bit light. They include a “Behind the Scenes” segment and assorted podcasts by Yuri Sardarov’s character. Available on DVD only.
- “Blue Bloods: The Third Season” isn’t everyone’s favorite, but the cop family drama has its fans. This DVD only title includes all 23 episodes of Season 3 and plentiful bonus material including commentaries on two of the shows.
- “Parade’s End” The HBO miniseries stars Benedict Cumberbatch as a no-nonsense British aristocrat who gets stuck in a bad marriage, finds someone else but is honor bound to stick with his marriage vows. The BBC co-production runs 300 minutes and is available in a Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo pack.
“Star Trek: The Original Series-Origins” is a specialty title featuring choice episodes from the space saga series that started it all. The Blu-ray disc includes “The Cage” “Where No Man Has Gone Before” “Space Seed” “Errand of Mercy” and “The Trouble With Tribbles.” As the title indicates, these are the episodes that introduce many of “Star Trek’s” key characters including Captain Pike, Spock and Khan. A suitable choice for anyone with a passing interest in the TV classic.